The Schoonhoven Silver Award is an initiative of the ‘Stichting Zilverkunst’ (Silver Art Foundation). Since its inception in 2001 the Award has had six winners. The Award’s most recent editions have been dedicated to promoting contemporary ‘great, silver art’ to a broader, art-minded audience, with the emphasis on innovative silver concepts. The Schoonhoven Silver Award 2018 continues to be devoted to the goal of reaching a wider audience and inspiring artists to test and explore the boundaries of their traditional art and craft. The Nederlands Zilvermuseum Schoonhoven seeks to invite submissions that stimulate the exploration of new technologies and uses, and innovative art forms. The above could be pursued by:
- Presenting today’s silversmiths with new artistic and technical challenges;
- Fostering partnerships with silversmiths and other design disciplines, to inspire a new vision and perspective on the traditional techniques applied in silver art and craft;
- Stimulating a knowledge search of silversmithing skills and competencies of bygone eras.
Selection and nomination
- Participants are asked to submit a picture with a short description in English of the object before July 31, 2018;
- Objects dating from January 2015 and later are considered eligible for submission. The object doesn’t have to be made exclusively for the Schoonhoven Silver Award;
- From the submitted pictures and descriptions an international jury will select the nominations;
- Only nominated objects will be asked to be submitted for the final judging;
- The object must be available for the duration of the exhibition in Schoonhoven and the international traveling exhibition (October 2018-November 2019).
The complete regulations, additional information and application instructions can be found on the website of Nederlands Zilvermuseum Schoonhoven (Dutch Silvermuseum Schoonhoven).